The Department of Kinesiology offers a minor in coaching which is intended to give professionals an in-depth academic preparation for any level of coaching. The Athletic Coaching minor includes the following course work requirements:
Required courses (14 credits)
KIN 220 – Basic Athletic Training
KIN 315 – Coaching Theory
PSYCH 230 – Developmental Psychology
BIOL 155 or 255/256 – Human Anatomy/Physiology
KIN 365 – Sport Psychology
Select one additional course (3 credits)
KIN 355 – Biomechanics
KIN 358 – Physiology of Exercise
Coaching licensure — Iowa
In the state of Iowa, you must be licensed to coach at the secondary level in the public school system. There are two forms of coaching licensure: a coaching authorization and a coaching endorsement. The following apply to both the authorization and endorsement:
- They both allow you to be employed as a head or assistant coach in any interscholastic athletic activity.
- You must take courses in four conceptual areas: Theory & Ethics of Coaching, Human Growth and Development, Physiology, and Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries.
- A criminal background check is also required of all applicants.
- The coaching authorization gives a person the right to coach in middle school or high school.
- With coaching authorization you are allowed to be the head or assistant coach for any sport following the completion of the course work above and filing an application for the authorization through the Department of Education of the State of Iowa.
Renewal. The coaching authorization is renewed by attending five rules meetings, coaching clinics, or coaching workshops within the five year renewal period.
- The coaching endorsement can be obtained by individuals who hold a teaching license and who have completed the four required classes above for college credit.
- Theory & Ethics of Coaching, Human Growth and Development, and Physiology must be taken for one credit hour each and Care and Prevention must be taken for two credit hours.
Renewal. The coaching endorsement is automatically renewed with your teaching license.