There are a number of awards and scholarships specifically for dancers.
Anna R. Toman Dance Award
Purpose: To recognize an undergraduate student (member of Orchesis I) who has contributed significantly during the year to the dance program at Iowa State.
- Must have a formal affiliation with Iowa State University.
- Must be a member in good standing of Orchesis I.
Procedure: Persons are nominated by the members of Orchesis I with the final recipient selected by the Dance faculty — no application required.
Award: $100 and token award
Charlotte Wilkinson Award
Purpose: To honor the memory of Charlotte Wilkinson, a past member of Orchesis II. Given to the member who has contributed the most in leadership, choreography and performance.
- Must be affiliated with Iowa State University.
- Must be a member of Orchesis II and in good standing.
Procedure: Nominations will be solicited from the membership and voted upon by the membership — no application required
Award: Token award
Betty Toman Outstanding Contributions to Dance and Affiliated Arts
Purpose: To recognize a dance student who has been involved in numerous dance organizations and who accepts/completes tasks beyond expectations to further dance on campus and in the community.
- Depth of involvement in dance classes. Membership in Orchesis I and II, Iowa State Dance Tour Company, Stars Over VEISHEA, as a choreographer or in support activities such as lighting, costuming, or marketing.
- Effectiveness in involvement in dance and related activities.
- Length of involvement in dance groups and activities.
Procedure: Nominations will be gathered from the various dance groups and forwarded to the dance faculty for final selection.
Award: Token award
Evelyn Jensen Award for Achievement in Outreach
Purpose: To recognize a member of the Iowa State Dance Tour Company who demonstrates the ability to transmit dance knowledge and skill to a variety of people through performance and teaching.
Qualifications: Member of the Iowa State Dance Tour Company.
Procedure: Nominations will be submitted by the Iowa State Dance Tour Company and forwarded to the dance faculty for final selection.
Award: Token Award
Iowa State Dance Scholarship
Purpose: To recognize a student in the Performing Arts major (dance emphasis) who has contributed to the ISU Dance program.
- Must be at least sophomore classification and a major in Performing Arts with a dance emphasis.
- Must be a contributing member to the ISU Dance program for at least one year.
Procedure: A student may self-nominate by submitting his/her name to the Dance faculty or Dance faculty may nominate a student. Recipient is then chosen by the Dance faculty. Award is given at the annual spring awards banquet.