We endeavor to conduct and disseminate research that is relevant to issues facing society.
Objective 1: Increase impact and visibility of research and other scholarly activities
Increasing the visibility of departmental research programs will facilitate internal and external grant opportunities and facilitate recruitment and retention of faculty, staff and students.
- Build interdisciplinary collaborations across campus including involvement in research institutes and centers on campus.
- Increase impact of research through publications, scholarly presentations and outreach.
- More effective use of web to communicate research endeavors.
- Invite prominent researchers to the Department.
- Participate in the Iowa State University's Speakers Bureau, ISU News Service and similar agencies.
- Increase interaction with the College of Human Sciences Communications Director.
Objective 2: Enhance attainment of extramural funds from local, regional, and national agencies
Faculty and staff will be more systematic and strategic in the pursuit of grant funding in order to increase the quality and quantity of grant proposals.
- More effectively identify opportunities for funding, such as developing a listing current research funding opportunities (such as RFA's, RFP's, PA's and Foundations).
- Build interdisciplinary grant teams within our department and foster greater research collaboration across the university and with colleagues in other universities.
Objective 3: Increase support for cutting-edge research
Maintaining up-to-date research requires up-to-date software, hardware and equipment as well as release time to write grant proposals.
- Provide support that will facilitate success in pursuing external funding, such as participation in grant writing workshops, competitive release time to write grants, and assistance from office staff.
- Increase support for conducting research through updated software, hardware and equipment, and enhanced support for publication costs.
- Funds for faculty to attend workshops on cutting-edge technologies that can be used in our research.
Leading Indicators for Goal 2
- Number of refereed publications, book chapters and books authored by faculty.
- Number of presentations and symposia at national and international conferences.
- Number of grant proposals and grants awarded to faculty as PI or co-investigator and total direct and indirect funding received.