A positive working and learning environment energizes people to do their best work. We value a departmental atmosphere in which there is mutual respect, one that is enjoyable, and one in which integrity and honesty is the norm.
Objective 1: Cultivate departmental norms of high ethics
Actions and decisions that reflect honesty and strong ethics prepare our students to positively impact society and maintain the integrity of our workplace.
- Practice and promote honesty and excellence in classroom teaching practices.
- Practice and promote honesty and excellence in research with students and colleagues.
- Teach ethics of scientific and academic honesty implicitly and explicitly.
- Adhere to University policies for academic misconduct.
- Require completion of university ethics class for doctoral students.
- Require completion of IRB training and other appropriate training for all graduate students during first year at ISU.
- Engage in periodic discussion of academic integrity and conduct during graduate student orientation, doctoral seminars and faculty/staff meetings.
Objective 2: Create a culture of communication and mutual respect
Mutual respect fosters positive communication and an environment of trust and cooperation, creating an environment in which people are energized for work.
- Increase interaction and cooperation across labs and areas through sharing of equipment and space.
- Increase interaction among sub-disciplines through small group discussions and activities such as journal club, doctoral seminars, and research collaborations.
- Encourage attendance at research presentations in the doctoral seminar by faculty members and Master’s students.
Objective 3: Foster collegiality between graduate students, faculty, staff, retired faculty and alumni
People in the Department enjoy one another and we want to keep it that way.
- Continue informal gatherings and/or social events that bring faculty and staff together within and outside the workplace that foster opportunities to get to know each other better.
- Use faculty fall meeting and the January retreat to foster connections and engagement.
- Enhance use of the Clipboard to communicate with retired faculty and with alumni.
- Build and maintain a more alumni-friendly web site.
- Periodic assessment of faculty, staff and graduate student satisfaction.
Leading Indicators for Goal 5
- Percent of undergraduate and graduate students who take a class in which ethics is discussed.
- Morale of faculty, staff and graduate students based on a periodic survey.